Pack your boxes – It’s time to move!
Getting ready to move? We’ve got you covered! Our biggest suggestion: Do not wait until the last minute. Moving can be a daunting task, but if you break it up and take it on week by week, it can be much more manageable.
4 Weeks Before Move-In:
- Finalize Moving Date
- Schedule Movers & Moving truck
- Looking to do any projects prior to moving in? Schedule any painting, flooring or installations.
3 Weeks Before Move-In:
- Buy Packing Materials – Boxes, packing paper, tape, and bubble wrap
- Begin packing infrequently used items
- Start sifting through belongings for donations
Have a lot to dump? Take your utility bill to Twin Oaks Landfill to use the dump for free!
2 Weeks Before Move-In:
- Contact utility companies (i.e. water, electricity, cable)
- Change address: Mailing, subscriptions, USPS, etc.
Day of Closing:
- Don’t forget to bring a form of identification, preferably a driver’s license.
- Complete a walk-through of the home with your agent to ensure that there are no issues that need to be addressed.
- Pay Closing Costs – While this is typically in the form of a cashier’s check, check with your lender prior to your Closing and bring the correct form of payment.
- Most Utility companies required a copy of your deed from your Closing, so make sure to get them paperwork so you are ready on move-in day.
The Week of Moving:
- Follow up with your Lender and Realtor that all loose ends are tied up
- Finish packing
- Pack essentials for a few nights in the new home
- Put together your Official Moving Box: This is to help make your moving day easier! Create a box that will stay with you until you are completely done moving and make sure it includes:
Cleaning Supplies (glass cleaner, sanitizing wipes, all-purpose cleaner, etc.)
Cell Phone Charger
Local Moving Resources: